Thursday 27 May 2010

Julie: Male-friendly mini-album

Hi all, how's things with you?

Have you been using your
'What's the Story?' Quirky kit? I have and as I mentioned at the end of my previous post I've been turning some of it into a man-friendly project, which isn't always an easy thing to achieve in papercrafting!

I daren't share it with you before now as I'd made it as a birthday gift for my partner. But as his birthday has now come and gone .... here it is:

While the cover is the front of an old map which I found in a second-hand book shop for £1:00 - the spine is made from a strip of the light kraft micro-corrugated card from the kit.

I wanted to make good use of its flexible properties and, as I've used a similar technique to make an album spine before, this struck me as an ideal use for it: I also made a pocket page from the card, blanket stitching it in place using the kit's embroidery thread: I adore the double sided spots / grid design from the 4heures37 ‘les basiques’ range. Here I simply folded over the paper down the inner edge making both patterns visible at once. I then aged the paper using, appropriately enough, a Ranger Distress Ink in 'Old Paper': Continuing with the aged and worn feel - which seemed somewhat more manly than some papercrafting techniques - I made an additional pocket-page from the Glitz Designs 'Kismet Stripe' patterned paper and some large eyelets: And here's what the pages look like all together:

Both me and [hopefully] my partner are going to be adding photos and journalling about the various places he's lived and traveled to .. or photos etc from this year ... we're not quite sure yet.

What I am sure of is that [a] I really love the 4heures37 range of papers. Really! and [b] once you remove the pretty elements from the 'What's the Story?' kit there's an extremely man-project-kit hidden in there. [And when I say 'remove' them I mean - grab all the pretty trimmings, cute buttons and fabric embellishments and use them on your own projects!].

As always we're eager to see what you've made from any of your Quirky kits. Link us up in a comment below, in the UKScrappers forum 'Quirky kit' thread or the Crafty Templates Flickr group. Let's face it, you can never see too many papercrafting projects can you?

I'd be especially interested if you too have managed to produce a 'man-friendly' project with your 'What's the Story?' kit!

Whatever you're making, enjoy your crafting.

No comments: